L’Isle-aux-Allumettes is located at the western end of the Pontiac region, only a few minutes’ drive from Pembroke, Ontario. Since its fertile land is suited to agriculture, farms form a critical part of the landscape of this municipality. With L’Isle-aux-Allumettes serving as a destination for recreational activities, such as pleasure boating, fishing, and canoeing, islanders and nearby residents take full advantage of nature in this lush region.
- 50 % of the residents are bilingual
- 1 CLSC
- 1 French elementary school
- 1 English elementary and secondary school
- The 1,334 residents, others from the Pontiac area, and tourists have many options for finding local grub in town, with a small family-owned grocery store and a weekly farmer’s market in the summer. Some also serve as gathering places, such as Karl’s Bakery and L’Ancienne Banque.
- For art lovers, Chapeau Regional Gallery is a must to discover works by local artists. When it comes to hockey, the best games take place at the Complexe Sportif du Haut Pontiac.
- The main employers in the area are a school service centre and a school board: the Centre de services scolaires des Hauts-Bois-de-l’Outaouais and the Western Québec School Board. Are you looking for a job in the field of education? Stay informed about current job offers on their websites.
- Lupuline Hop Yard, a family business, grows 10 varieties of high-quality hops used to brew great beers.