It may take a village to raise a child, but in Rapides-des-Joachims, it takes a community to build a living environment that is a nice place to grow up in and come back to or to settle down in and stay. Nestled on an island in the Ottawa River, the municipality provides a way of life that ensures a connection with nature. Driven, organized residents make the municipality buzz with life, through their associations and numerous activities.
- 156 residents
- 40 km of hiking and mountain bike trails
- 613 area code mainly used in Ontario
How we stand out
- Rapides-des-Joachims is isolated from Quebec’s road network, and can only be accessed by going through Rolphton, Ontario—except in the winter, when it is possible to get there by snowmobile. Rapides-des-Joachims is closer to Ontario than it is to neighbouring villages in Quebec.
- It is the only municipality in which the children go to school in Ontario.
- The ZEC Rapides-des-Joachims and the ZEC Dumoine bring great pleasure to hunting and fishing enthusiasts. For a total immersion experience, Dumoine Valley Guides offers other types of forays into nature.
- Through various organizations such as the Community Centre of Rapides-des-Joachims, the RDJ Outdoorsmen Club, and the Maison des jeunes, residents have access to a wide range of activities that bring them together.
- Who says that a gathering space needs to be a business? Here, the falls that flow into the basin are much appreciated by those who live in the area and enjoy going for a swim in the summer. For those who prefer to bask in the sun, McConnell beach is sure to please.